If you are a skilled, energetic, trustworthy, and qualified instructor of English, and if you are interested in teaching English online with the ELC, please read the following information to see if you and the ELC are a good match for each other. If, after reading the information, you want to apply for a teaching position, please contact the executive director (brett "at" redrocklearning.com) to request a teacher application.
Current Positions Available
- Experienced English teachers in General English and Examination Preparation courses
- Experienced English teacher who is bilingual in Chinese (Mandarin)
- Experienced English teacher who is bilingual in Korean
- Experienced English teacher who is bilingual in Turkish
- Experienced English teacher who is bilingual in Arabic
- Implements instructional activities that contribute to a climate where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences.
- Assists in assessing changing curricular needs and offers plans for improvement.
- Maintains effective and efficient record keeping procedures.
- Provides a positive environment in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the learning process.
- Communicates effectively, both orally and in writing, with students and other professionals on a regular basis.
- Collaborates with peers to enhance the instructional environment.
- Models professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community.
- Ensures that student growth and achievement is continuous and appropriate for age group, subject area, and/or program.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with students, parents, and schools
- Assumes responsibility for meeting his/her course student performance goals.
- Demonstrates gains in student performance.
- Meets professional obligations through efficient work habits such as meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating activities, and interacting with the students on a timely basis
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by their supervisor. All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established as part of the annual performance planning process or as the result of organizational planning.
Education, Certifications, and Work Related Experience
- Native English speaker
- Bachelor's Degree or higher (Masters Degree preferred)
- Professional verification of successful classroom teacher performance in teaching English to speakers of other languages
- Regular and predictable online attendance is essential
- Bilingual language knowledge is preferred but not required
Technical Competencies and Skills
- Possesses strong oral and written communication skills
- Works independently with little direct supervision
- Works as part of a team
- Accepts responsibility and is self-motivated
- Demonstrates strong work ethic to achieve goals
- Displays effective multi-tasking and time management skills
- Utilizes all required and recommended Red Rock ELC computer applications
- Physical Ability: Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
- Sensory Requirements: All tasks require visual perception and discrimination.
- All live/real-time online tasks require oral communications ability.
Hardware & Software required
- The Red Rock ELC instructor must provide for his/her own computer, Macintosh or Windows
- The Red Rock ELC will provide the software and curriculum resources to the instructors for use in the ELC courses
- The Red Rock ELC will provide the instructor with the needed web camera if the instructor does not already own such a camera.
All Red Rock ELC instructors will be required to conduct their own courses in accordance with the official course schedule, a schedule which requires weekly live instruction through the ELC's web conferencing software.
Profile of a Successful Online Instructor
(not in any priority..all are important)
- able to clearly communicate in an efficient yet full manner, such that opportunity for misunderstanding is minimized.
- able to create lessons and assignments which fully cover and teach the lesson(s) in creative and inviting ways for subsequent independent learning.
- able to respond in a timely and effective manner to all student and staff email.
- able to maintain composure and level-headedness upon reading an abusive or malicious email, choosing not to respond immediately but rather to wait until emotions have cleared.
- able to work in geographic isolation from both students and fellow teachers.
- able and willing to communicate regularly with fellow teachers for the sharing of ideas, professional development, etc.
- able to embrace and learn the technology resources as the new tools of the trade.
- able to create a sense of community and "belonging" within the virtual classroom(s).
- able to move from a traditional teacher model to an online teacher model.